This past fortnight or so I’ve really been finding my groove again with a lot of things. I’ve had a long period of feeling off kilter, but I’ve been trying to reset a little bit – in terms of priorities, the things I allow to occupy my headspace, and even simple things like diet and health too. I always feel so much more myself in the Summer season anyway, and a spell of good weather and warmth most definitely helps with inspiring a creative mind too.
I was having a chat with a really lovely friend (Mel Wiggins. One of the sweetest and wisest ladies I know!) just yesterday about motherhood and all the things that come before and after. She always has this knack of making me realise that it’s OK to be finding time in these busy years to do something fulfilling for myself too. I think I fall into that trap a lot, of never feeling quite enough on the mum scale. (If there even is such a thing. It’s probably created totally in our heads anyway, isn’t it?) So much time is spent juggling and trying to keep all the balls in the air, that I wonder am I affectionate enough? Do I listen enough to them? Will they have to have therapy in the future because I didn’t tuck them in that one night last week? I know it’s ridiculous in the grand scheme, but I think when we look at Social Media in particular, and skim all the best bits off the surface, we often come off feeling lacking in some shape or form.
Anyway, my point is this (thank goodness, she has finally got there! 😉 ) There is contentment in knowing you are doing your best. In knowing that you are not so dissimilar to the next person – whether they are in the house next door or the country an ocean away. In realising that the best thing for your children is to model happiness, whether that is in how you spend your time, the way you express all your talents, in how you be with them and others. There’s contentment in realising that everything can be overwhelming at times. In stepping back, taking a moment, walking in the rain, making some tea. In writing, reading, drawing, singing. Spending a few minutes in your own head. Allowing yourself to do that.
I’m no great expert (though you’d think so by the sound of me! ;)) but it has been working for me this past little while. Basically, things are good over here, and I’m really happy and thankful for it.
So with that in mind, five quick things, and a little life update too!
1. The last few weeks have been really busy on the work front for me, with a few events and trips, and lots more in the works for the Summer season. We had such a great night at the launch of the Belfast Coffee Map last week, such a unique and innovative concept brought to fruition by a friend of ours. You can pick up this independent guide to some of Belfast’s quirky coffee destinations here.
We also took a trip to Tayto Park during the bank holiday weekend. We’re maybe not your typical theme park family but the kids loved it so much, and Andrew and Eva even attempted the Cuculainn Coaster which made me super nervous and a little bit sick all at the same time. They made it back in one piece though and loved every second. Noah, Annie and I stuck to the toddler rides – #teacupsforlife 🙂
2. I’ve been loving the good weather when we’ve seen it this past month, and just being around home too. We’ve been putting lots of effort into sprucing up outdoors, with the result that we maybe haven’t strayed as far or been as active away from home at weekends, but I’m glad to just be getting on with things too. I mean, my list of to-dos would floor you if you could only see it. We’re working through them slowly but surely!
3. Speaking of home, our roses have all burst open by the front door and I’m so, so happy about it. They tend to bloom constantly from now until around September, but the June blooms are my favourite of all. Such a shower of prettiness!
4. Eva’s getting down to her last few weeks of Primary school now and there are so many changes imminent. We are so happy she got a place in her first choice school for next year, and she’s super excited for all the new beginnings. It honestly feels like five minutes ago that I was taking her in for her first day in P1. Five minutes guys! How quickly the years roll away. If you are in the same position this year (whether they are 5 or 11!) I’m sending all the best wishes. There needs to be a handbook on how to cope with all these crazy changes!
5. We’re off on a little trip this weekend and are excited about a change of scenery for a couple of days. It has coincided with Eva’s Netball finals, so she’s staying put with her grandparents, but I’ll keep you posted on how the rest of us are getting on over on Instagram and Insta-stories tomorrow. Annie got a bit confused about it all and has been telling everyone that we are going on holidays on a plane (I wish sweetheart, I wish! 😉 ) It only clicked with me when I realised that she was talking about putting suncream on before she went in the pool. Believe me, there’s not much cause for suncream in NI right now. Ha!
Some other things I’ve been loving this week…
Muller Light toffee yoghurt with this peanut butter mixed in. Snack heaven!
I attended a brunch with Zohara bags this week and they gifted me this absolute beauty. It’s my new favourite and I’m trying to work it into every outfit! (Use LITTLEWOODLIFE to get a beautiful free gift when ordering a Zohara bag from Bella Mia Boutique until 31st August)
Peonies and giant Hydrangea heads in bloom. I could have a garden filled with only those and be totally happy!
Being busy – writing, photographing, meeting. I thrive on activity.
Going low carb. I’ve been having tummy troubles for a while now and am reverting back to fewer starchy foods in an attempt to settle it again. I feel so much better for it. (SPOILER: It involves a lot of soup and salad. I’m going to win no awards for excitement on the food front but sometimes boring is where it’s at.)
These jeans. Life changers guys. I’ve been looking for something in a lighter wash but with that high-waisted fit I love, for an age. The search is over and I’ve been wearing them on repeat.
Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish. I don’t know where I’ve been in missing this one. Totally iconic for every good reason. My skin is loving it, and it feel like a total spa experience every time I wash my face too!
Have a lovely weekend everyone!