You don’t see food posts too often around these parts but after I posted a picture of these over on Instagram the other day I had so many enquiries as to the recipe, so I thought I’d share it here.
They are super simple to make and a real crowd pleaser during the Christmas season. Please excuse my dreadful food styling – taking photos of interiors is so much more simple to me than this! 🙂
7oz/200g butter, softened
10oz/280g caster sugar
1lb/450g plain flour
1 and half tbsp. ground ginger
3 tsp mixed spice
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the Icing
1lb 2oz/480g icing sugar
2 tsp butter, softened
half tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp. maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan assisted. Line a muffin tin with paper cases or choose mini disposable loaf cases (I got mine in M&S and they are fantastic!)
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Pour in treacle. Beat for three minutes.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in sifted dry ingredients, then milk.
- Divide mixture amongst muffin cases or loaf cases. Bake for around 20 minutes, turning and moving baking trays every ten minutes to ensure all cakes are browned evenly.
- Turn onto a cooling rack.
- To make the icing, sift icing sugar into a heat proof bowl. Stir in butter, extract, milk and syrup to make a smooth paste. Place bowl over simmering water and stir until icing is of a spreadable consistency.
- Spread icing over loaves. Stand until set.
Hope you enjoy!